[Openicc] colord 0.1.0 released!

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Wed Jan 19 20:13:45 PST 2011

Chris Murphy wrote:
> I think depending on ICC profiles containing metadata to do this is completely dead in
> the water. There is no requirement for the profile builder to populate these tags.
> There's no support in any package I'm aware of that populates these tags either, you'd
> have to use something like sampleicc or icctoxml to add the tags. I could be wrong but
> I think that will go nowhere for the larger ICC market.

Hmm. Doesn't sound too hard. Ideally it needs to be part of the profiling chart
printing process. If the profiler submits the test chart to the driver/print queue,
it should be able to retrieve the metadata at the same time, so that it can
tag the resulting profile. For a manual test print, there would be a user
option to save the meta data to some file.

> Comment 2: What is "CMS off" isn't always the same for every printer. Many consumer
> printers are increasingly only accepting/assuming sRGB input, there is no "wider gamut
> RGB/CMYK" path, let alone DeviceN. So is this CMS off? Well...not really. Can we
> profile over this behavior? Maybe. I think it's a problem to propose these are all the
> same thing to users.

For an RGB only printer or driver, "CMS off" equates to a "full gamut" mode, if it
is supported, rather than a "reproduce sRGB/AdobeRGB etc." mode.