[Openicc] colord 0.1.0 released!

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Wed Jan 19 21:09:34 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>wrote:

> ICC spec (7.2.5) identifies 'prtr' as an "Output Device" profile.  So if
> you really do an RGB-based output device, then you could have a 'prtr'
> profile for it - but I am not aware of any in actual use.
>

> I'm really confused. Every single desktop inkjet printer comes with such
> profiles.

Not as output profiles they don't.  They may have proofing/simulation
profiles in RGB - but not an actual prtr.  if you've got one, I'd love to
see it...

> But that's exactly what's being used by Photoshop and Lightroom,

As a SOURCE profile but not as a PRINTER profile - and not at print time.

> and dropped into the Mac OS PDF print spool file as an OutputIntent. It's
> an RGB-based OutputIntent. All of these desktop printers are treated as RGB
> 100% of the time when driven by the manufacturer's print driver.

Not as OutputIntent.   And even if it was, the OI is only used in a PDF/X
file.  It's ignored (as per spec) for any standard PDF.

Perhaps you mean as a source profile - because that's what Quartz does.

Leonard