[Openicc] colord 0.1.0 released!

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Wed Jan 19 21:12:36 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme at argyllcms.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the simplest approach is to say that PDF/X-3/4/5 are not suitable
> profile or calibration test chart formats.

Which is fine...

> It's been suggested at least twice to the ISO 32000 committee and both
>>> times
>>
>> it's been rejected, because it's not clear what it means in all contexts.
>>  For example, does it used when rendering to screen?  What about if the
>> screen is simulating a printer (aka "Overprint Preview")??   etc. etc.
>> etc.
>>

> It wouldn't seem all that hard, if the clear purpose is to facilitate
> profiling.

So then such a flag would only be respecting when profiling?  In which case,
it doesn't belong in ISO 32000 - and instead should be a 3rd party extension
with appropriate second class name that someone defines and we all agree to.
 No problem there!

> If there are rendered elements that don't apply (because they are not
> in the intended device profiling space, or the actual device space
> is not the intended device profiling space), you have the usual options:
>
>        Reject the file.
>        Ignore those elements (don't render them).

Neither are acceptable options for PDF.