[Openicc] colord 0.1.0 released!

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Jan 19 21:59:15 PST 2011

On Jan 19, 2011, at 7:25 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2011, at 6:06 PM, Hal V. Engel wrote:
>>

>> I don't really care about the "larger ICC market" in this context.  I am much
>> more concerned about doing this in a way that actually works on our open
>> systems.  We could end up being the leaders here with the "larger ICC market"
>> following us out of the wilderness.
>
> I'm with you on that. The "larger ICC market" issue is that this is where the tools come from to do what we want and those optional tags mean "we aren't going to do it" to the vast majority of the tooler makers.

And more to the point, I don't think it's a gross oversimplification to state that every single optional anything in the ICC spec has exactly one advocate and implementor. It's basically a way to shroud proprietary methods that no one else cares to use, behind an ICC stamp of approval. There's a litany of ICC v4 optional items that have not been implemented, and will likely never be implemented. One of the most promised and talked about v4 benefits, the PRM and PRMG have yet to be implemented in a publicly available profiling tool by any vendor, despite the PRMG amendment being approved six years ago.

Point is, if it's not required, it's not going into the profile in a set of blessed optional tags. And I don't think those optional tags have the granularity Robert Krawitz is suggesting is needed, and I'd tend to agree.

The question is whether to put it in the profile as a private tag, or whether to put this driver settings information (and the profile) into a database that can be exported as a functionally equivalent sort of Adobe Color Settings File that contains settings + all profiles. And in my opinion, this is not a question for users, it's a question for engineers who have to build the system. All users care about is having some reliable means of marrying profiles + driver settings, and transporting the two together so print conditions can be reproduced.