[Openicc] meta data in test chart

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 13:12:31 PST 2011

Maybe we should explain what happens on the Mac now:
- The vendor creates a driver which accepts images in a handoff space,
usually sRGB by default at the moment (AdobeRGB is possible) .
- When the user prints a picture, CUPS invokes a Colorync conversion
to sRGB (or AdobeRGB) and then passes the converted object to the
vendor's driver.
- The vendor has very good canned profiles for the proprietary inks
and media, and modern inkjets are close to the average, so mostly the
user gets excellent prints.

The system above is actually not a bad design, but it would be even
better provided the handoff space were ProfotoRGB (very wide gamut)
or PRNG (all printable colors), and a 16 bit conversion were
performed.  The big advantage of this system *as it stands on the Mac*
is that screens are matched to sRGB with a 2.2 gamma by default, a
consumer camera generates sRGB Jpeg images by default, and so there is
really no conversion to perform to print, simple software needs to
know nothing about color management, and everything is seamless.
Frankly one could do worse than adopt some similar method for Linux.
When a prosumer wants to work, with large gamuts and custom profile,
things get ... complicated.

Edmund