[Openicc] Communication between Printer Driver and Oyranos

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 02:42:37 PST 2011

On 24 January 2011 10:16, edmund ronald
> Now, I suggest hat if Jenny has just bought Hannemühle Rag for her
> Epson 12345, she can get the system to automagically download settings
> and a canned profile from www.linuxprinting.org, and then print
> wothout knowing *anything*

If the user knows what an ICC profile is (heh), then I think the
following use case makes sense:

* User downloads ICC file
* User double clicks it
# color manager window opens
* User selects the printer they want to assign the profile to
(* optional: User sets the qualifier for the assignment using radio
buttons, but defaulting to "for everything")
* User gets asked if the profile should be assigned to the printer for
ever, or just until they logout
* User prints using the special paper
* User reverts to the old settings, or logs off

In this instance, the default vendor supplied profile for the printer
will be good enough for the 99% of documents the user is going to
print. For the "birthday present A3 canvas print" they are printing
it's okay to ask the user to go through the steps detailed above.

We're also asking the user to physically add and remove the paper from
the paper tray, so it's quite a logical connection to "load" a
different color profile when "loading" a different paper type.

If the user is profiling the printer themselves, I think it's safe to
assume they want to assign the generated profile to the printer used
to generate it, and just set the profile default on the printer,
without removing any of the other profiles.

If the user becomes a color-nut, then we let them specify the
qualifier for each of the downloaded / generated profiles, and so each
profile is used at the correct time in response to the query from
CUPS. I really think the typical user might only use two types of
paper, and one of those will only be used on special occasions.

That said, I don't want to exclude the pro-sumer from setting up a
home print shop for printing onto different media. I just don't think
we should design the architecture and UIs around this person.

Richard.