[Openicc] Print Color Pipeline

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 02:49:27 PST 2011

On 22 January 2011 17:03, Jan-Peter Homann <homann at colormanagement.de> wrote:
> But lets come back to the color architecture.
> The monitor profile itself will be configured on systemlevel (Oraynos, Gnome
> ColorManager etc...).

The monitor profile is actually per-session, as the X11 instance is
not usable from the system layer. That said, a display configuration
will typically per-system in reality, as we don't really want to
switch display colorspaces when we do fast-user-switching, or back and
forth to gdm and that kind of thing.

> If the printer profile should be configured in the driver, we need a
> mechanism, that the driver can tell the system, what is the current valid
> profile for the choosen driver setting.

Sure, have a look at the colord DBus introspection files, e.g.
http://gitorious.org/colord/master/blobs/master/src/org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Device.xml

> System:
> - RGB-source-profile (sRGB) for non colormanagement aware applications

I think this is per-session in reality too -- in gnome-color-manager
it's configured in GSettings as the default space is really a user
preference, not a system policy.

> Colormanagement aware application:
> - Document colorspace (RGB and/or CMYK if necessary)

Yes, per-document makes a lot of sense for some applications, although
using a per-session or per-user default is probably what the user
expects.

Richard.