[Openicc] meta data in test chart

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Jan 25 18:54:38 PST 2011

On Jan 25, 2011, at 7:09 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2011, at 5:29 PM, Alastair M. Robinson wrote:
>>
>> For legacy Postscript and Untagged PDF I think we need an option
>> provided by the print subsystem, be it CUPS, the PPDs, the CPD or whatever:
>> "Default Colour Interpretation: [sRGB  |  AdobeRGB  |  Device Native]"
>> This describes the colourspace in which input data is assumed to be.
>
> I'm not going to put up a big complaint to stop this if this is what you guys really want. But my two cents is this is a sloppy workflow on Windows and Mac OS right now. It's stupid that this isn't self-configuring based on what's in the PDF print spool file. I think this is a legacy behavior, and not a good behavior to re-invent or mimic.

Just a bit of clarification. My gripe is that such a print architecture rewards stupid applications that ignore metadata and do not pass off correct metadata (colorspace), to the printing system;  thus requiring the user to say "assume all incoming is Adobe RGB (1998)".

I do not like rewarding stupid lazy programs that ignore color space metadata, by dumping the responsibility onto users. If the app ignores color space information (ICC or EXIF or other), then it's not displayed correctly either. It's a craptastic application.

It is the year 2011 after all, we have these sorts of agreements for specifying color, the ICC profile format and EXIF specs were built to avoid these sorts of issues so that users don't have to bend over backwards second guessing their images (or applications). So I would simply get rid of this paradigm entirely. It's useless. The user, if they care about the quality of their images shouldn't be compelled to fix it with arcane cluttered settings in the print driver dialog. They should be compelled to stop using applications written with a Pleistocene mindset, that sabotage user's images and their fidelity with what amounts to data loss.

No one would accept an image viewer that subjectively decided to not display or print the last 15% of the image. That's data loss too.