[Openicc] meta data in test chart

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Jan 26 17:33:58 PST 2011

On Jan 26, 2011, at 4:49 PM, Alastair M. Robinson wrote:
>> 1. I oppose a user selectable default (assumed) RGB source space for untagged content. I think it's a confusing and useless
>> option. There's statistically zero instance of naturally occurring RGB images that are both untagged but improperly described
>> by sRGB.
>
> So which application would you use, under Linux, today, to print out a profiling chart, secure in the knowledge that the image data was correctly tagged and would be unmolested by our proposed workflow?

I don't know, I haven't tried this yet. But at the moment I'm not immediately thinking there's any application that would color manage any image let alone a target for making a profile.

Option A: put in an explicit "All Off" and "ICC Off, Calibration On" option within the print dialog in the same pop-up where a profile would go.

Option B: put this in an advanced panel for an application (or applications) that would be used for printing profile targets.

> As for AdobeRGB being superfluous in my proposed option, yes, you're probably right there,
>
>> 4. Simple is better. The lesson to learn from Mac OS is that complicated architectures are difficult to create, manage,
>> and get support from other people who need to make various parts like the PPDs and print drivers. If you hang too many
> > complicated dependencies (especially undocumented or poorly documented ones) then it's a problem. Avoid this, and avoid the problem.
>
> I'm more worried about inscrutable smarts happening behind the scenes - that's what's caused the dissatisfaction on the Mac.  Hence my desire for an explicit "leave my colours the hell alone" switch, rather than it being an automatic user-invisible thing that happens only if an application does the Right Thing.

OK. I'm not terribly worried because it requires more complexity to implement than I think anyone has time to make happen. It wouldn't accidentally happen.

>> 5. Applications that strip/ignore embedded ICC profiles and EXIF color space information should be purged from the planet.
>
> Definitely! :)
>
> Sadly, they won't be.

I understand. And therefore assuming sRGB for their content is fine. Better than how it presently works.