[Openicc] meta data in test chart

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Jan 27 00:59:15 PST 2011

Am 26.01.11, 14:05 -0700 schrieb Chris Murphy:
> 6. Where is Linux going? What's the end game for color on the platform?
> Is the idea to eventually color manage every pixel? Is it going to be an
> opt-in or opt-out system? Deciding this makes a big difference on what
> language to use in GUI options, to how you allow applications to either
> opt-in or opt-out of color management on the platform. I'm not sure what
> this ideology is yet.

Managing every pixel is not easy with the curret stack. Too many
component authors do not care and control is not possible at all. Opt-in
would mean colour management is only for experts. We are working toward
CM by default for non experts. I conclude we are targeting at a opt-out
system.

For display colour management there is a very long tradition to just say
sRGB everywhere. Interessted applications can show more than
normalised sRGB by opting out of server side CM and do correction on their
own. The CompICC display colour server and the belonging proposals support
this.

Gutenprint people for a long time wanted to improve colour through ICC
conversion by default. The need to comply to the PDF standard seems a
further hint for this direction to go.