[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Jan 27 23:36:40 PST 2011

Am 28.01.11, 11:02 +1100 schrieb Graeme Gill:
> Jon Cruz wrote:
>> I know that in the past I've discussed this with X people (including Keith
>> Packard) and
>> had it explained that the place for color management the way we're looking
>> at it was
>> most likely not in the display server.

During a discussion with Jim Gettys, he stated the right place would be
the compositing window manager. So I stopped any effort in bringing CM
into Xorg itself. Now I continue with CompICC and libXcm to help in
enabling other compositing window mangagers.

> The popularity of wide gamut displays, and lots of applications that aren't
> going
> to become color aware any time soon, may force other approaches. CompICC
> is such an alternate approach. It gives the benefit of making all the
> dumb applications think they are talking to a (say) sRGB display, while
> smart, color aware applications can go outside that gamut. It also
> has the advantage of using the GPU hardware to do the color space
> transformation.

> The main problem with it, is that color aware applications that are not
> CompICC aware, may stop working properly.

Old and colour server aware applications work properly side by side.

The net-color spec is designed to friendly coexist with the
_ICC_PROFILE in X spec. I do not see different renderings of old style CM
aware applications outside thier capabilities inside sRGB. I test with
various colour managed applications and various rendering paths.
Colour server (CompICC) aware applications do utilise a larger gamut if
available for colours exceeding sRGB.