[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 12:34:29 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> So yes, I think we already need this. And look at all the effort Mozilla has gone through to get Firefox color managed. I think this should be centralized. Apps should not have to do this individually. It's a service. Their role should be merely to pass through EXIF and/or ICC profiles, and the image stream, and then the system manages color appearance transforms. That's how we get it highly optimized and consistent.
>
> Chris Murphy
Maybe if we could agree exactly what a color appearance transform is,
we could move from there. Because a simple way to deal with things
would be to require apps to use a big space eg.  Lab, XYZ, or even
(gasp!) ProphotoRGB and then transform from there into display space.
But Graeme tells us this cannot be done ...

Edmund