[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Jan 28 23:44:57 PST 2011

On Jan 29, 2011, at 12:10 AM, James Cloos wrote:

> CM> I don't know a whole lot about PJL, but if it's this kind of PJL:
> CM> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_Job_Language
>
> CM> That would seem to be inferior to JDF.
>
> The idea was to be compatible with lasers and such.  I've not seen any
> printers which support JDF, but all of the ones which support pcl (w/
> or w/o ps or pdf) seem to use PJL to control options and specify jobs'
> languages.  (The PPDs for cups mostly use ps and setpagedevice, but
> would need to use PJL were they to send pdf to the printer.)
>
> But a job ticket of some sort is better than just raw pdf.

I would expect that the backend for specific printer models would use PJL for those printers that support it, prior to sending a PCL or PS job.

CUPS PDF already supports job ticket information inside the PDF itself, and then subsequent filters like pdftops or pdftoraster will use job ticket info like number of copies. PJL seems a lot more basic, with extended versions being rather proprietary.