[Openicc] Updating PPDs with individual driver settings

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Mon Jan 31 04:04:54 PST 2011

Hello list,
I´m currently working on a more detailied concept for setting up printer
drivers and print workflows for ICC based color management.
So far as I know, the LINUX printing environment is using PPDs as
central point for presenting the options of a printer in the printing GUI.

So far as I worked with PPDs, they are more or less a static approach
for describing the options of a printer.

My questions are:
1) Are there standard workflows for the LINUX printworkflows available,
where the user creates specialized printer setups, updates the printer
PPD with this setups and delivers the updated PPD to all clients which
are sending data to the printer ?

2) Are there alternative standard (non PPD) solutions to communicate
printer setups to clients sending print data ?

Thanks and best regards
Jan-Peter

--
----------  Please note the new adress --------------