[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 05:32:22 PST 2011

I don't think much innovation is going to come out of the ICC anymore;
they are basically in a position of incumbency, where for their
members color management is just one more barrier preventing a new
entrant from introducing new products in the OS or graphics markets -
look at the advantage Apple has with their integrated Colorsync
stackAt this point they know how to make all their devices look the
same when taken out of the box - comp, iphone, Apple TV. It's not
something Apple are going to assist others in getting which is why
they've downgraded their visible participation in CMS, while taking
very strong steps to make sure that vendor components (eg. display
panels) integrate smoothly in their seamless color chain.

People like Xrite have been too preoccupied with survival to realize
that CMS is now a general OS issue, as almost every device has a
screen. Microsoft and Canon got it at one point but then got mired.
The Linux crowd are mainly geeks with bad eyes - for them a big screen
is just a tool for more Xterms :) . But I think Google would get it,
that devices are multimedia devices and image color like sound is
important. Maybe approaching the Android team at this point might make
sense - they know that at some point Android is going to be the
multimedia device OS.

Edmund