[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Feb 3 23:31:19 PST 2011

Haha yes to the point that we even have a fourth primary in one such display. Now how is it that it's cheaper to produce a TV with a yellow primary than to choose three better primaries? Whatever, good luck with that.

I tend to agree. The data indicates people like high contrast and more saturated everything, including skin tones, than reality. Although I wonder if this has something to do with the significantly lower dynamic range and in particular luminance of TVs. Lower luminance, lower colorfulness. So perhaps that's what's going on there at least in part. But suffice to say colorimetrically accurate isn't what the market appears to want. And that even applies to professionals, where colorimetric matches tend to not "look as good" as perceptual (whatever word you want to call it) renderings.

Chris Murphy