[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 03:18:08 PST 2011

On 4 February 2011 11:02, edmund ronald <edmundronald at gmail.com> wrote:
>  When I want to write "Hello World", I don't want to have to choose a
> font, a kerning, a color, a background color etc, allocate a buffer,
> allocate a graphics port, image into the buffer and then copy onto the
> port.

This is why I think it's important to put this kind of thing in the
toolkit. By pushing CM into projects like pixman and cairo, GTK gets
it for free, and stuff magically works without any extra code from the
programmer. The same can be done with Qt.

Of course, that's platform specific, but I think that is a good thing.
By providing native high level hooks it's always easier to use than a
generic "jack of all trades" solution that's trying to add a generic
hook into the various layers of rendering code.

This is why colord and gnome-color-manager will never do buffer writes
or pixel manipulation as they both will just feed high level data into
the system and session to let the existing frameworks do the
conversion in the right layers. This is one major point where I think
myself and Kai-Uwe disagree :-)

Richard.