[Openicc] Linux CM ideology... ICC image map converter

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Feb 4 09:26:15 PST 2011

Am 04.02.11, 16:46 +0100 schrieb Jan-Peter Homann:
> Hello Richard,
> In my proposal at
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc (point 9)
>
> I´m writing, that it makes a lot of sense, when we have something like "ICC
> image map converter" which is avilable on system / toolkit level and which is
> smoothly integrated into an "ICC profile repository" like e.g. Gnome color
> manager or Oyranos.
>
> This "ICC image map converter" should transform both image maps for output to
> the monitor or for print out.

> Where do you think, such a converter should be implemented, that a lot of
> applications can use it
> - Additional functionality of pixman ?
> - ???
>
> Hello Kai Uwe,
> Where do you think, such a "ICC image map converter" should be avaliable for
> smooth integration with Oyranos ?

Currently Oyranos has a display node for its image processing graph. It
fetches monitor regions and profile and corrects to them in a early bound
and opt in manner. The late colour binding manner is possible through the
CompICC or any other similiar colour server, again per monitor. The CMM is
selectable through a icc node in the image processing graph. There is
currently no API exposed to prefere a specific CMM.

Other device nodes, like for printers, are thought of, but not yet
implemented.

Oyranos colour conversions alias "ICC image map converter" can be used
in several toolkits.

The conversion is runtime selectable, thats the classic ICC approach for
pluggable colour matching modules (CMM). The modules API transferes not
only the ICC data and data buffers, but as well image dimensions and
provides complete image access. That capability extents the lcms API.