[Openicc] project ideas 2011

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Feb 4 09:56:57 PST 2011

Am 04.02.11, 17:48 -0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 4 February 2011 17:40, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> * work on synchronising settings over a event mechanism
>
> I think DBus is what makes sense here.

good

>> * neutral measurement driver API (Native display profiling)
>
> Sure, I have code for the Huey and prototype code for the ColorMunki.

I might be able to add a dtp94 driver

>> * net-color spec enabled window managers and related stuff
>
> Yes, possibly adding the opt-in functionality.

interessting

>> * web repository and API for ICC device profiles
>
> I've shared my reservations about this before, but if it exists, GCM
> should probably work with it and submit profiles.

We should know how to identify profiles and which quality criteria apply.
After all it should start as a optional mechanism. I have good
experiences made with my own canned profiles.

Explicite user settings should always override the canned profiles.

>> Some annotations:

>> "Better gamut graphs" is specific to GCM, where the last years project "ICC
>> Examin Library" could be continued to be of benefit to more projects. I
>> think the former should be merged with the later.
>
> For GCM, I just need a trivial gamut plot, like provided by OSX.
> ICCExamin is a much more complete tool with a very different
> featureset. I'm not sure sharing much code there makes sense TBH.

Its a spinable 3D view. The last years project was only inspired by
ICC Examin and completely rewritten in C. I think it would fit GCM very
well. We can request the 3D view as the first part to code. This code
would as well integrate into other settings panels.