[Openicc] Is CUPS the right place .... we don´t need a ICC czar...

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Feb 7 14:10:22 PST 2011

On Feb 7, 2011, at 2:44 PM, Jan-Peter Homann wrote:

> Hello Edmund, hello list
> I think the problem we have in the color management is not the case, that the ICC-standards defines a precalculated profile format and all problems will get solved magically, if we switch to a measurement based profiling approach.
>
> The core of the problem is define a framework, how documents, applications, shared libraries and printer drivers interact concerning profiles. If this failes with ICC-profiles, it will also fails with a measurement based profiling approach.

It is true that a measurement only format could still have problems, of course. But an issue we have is ICC profile transforms being predicated on very specific workflows and when they get moved around the interoperability is found to be unworkable and irreversible. So I would actually be fine with an approach that allows measurement data profiles to be embedded inside of v2 and v4 profiles. I don't need to tell everyone else "you can't have this." But I do want original measurement data and metadata required. If it's optional, then we're hosed.

> Now we need to deliver also the profile of the document into the printing workflow. This could e.g. solved, if  documents and applications can opt-in into Oyranos or g-c-m to provide the current active document profile. If we use PDF as format for the spool file, the document profile will be embedded as output intent.

No, the document profile (or per object profiles if the application supports it) remain as document, page, or object profiles in the PDF. The OutputIntent is exactly that, the intended output which would be for the printing condition (the desktop inkjet printer that PDF is going to be printed on).

> (By the way the conversion method "relativ colorimetric with blackpoint compensation is already a simple measurement based app

Wouldn't this method pollute the original measurement data making AbsCol impossible?