[Openicc] Is CUPS the right place... (CUPS and ColorSync)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Feb 7 15:07:56 PST 2011

On Feb 7, 2011, at 4:00 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> That is because the system knows a desktop inkjet printer is RGB-based, and reports this to the OS. The OS is then required to normalize to an RGB space when doing such a handoff to the system.

*sigh* substitute application for OS in the above statement.

The OS reports that it expects to receive RGB data for RGB inkjet printers, that's why applications like Photoshop and InDesign insist on choosing only RGB spaces for printer profiles for these kinds of printers. And that also happens when you use Save As PDF which uses the same pipeline as the print pipeline.

> Well, at least they used to be required, I don't know that they are still required. But they still do it. So it's actually not the system that's converting everything to RGB, it's actually the application. That's why Save as PDF is avoided.

This remains correct.