[Openicc] Is CUPS the right place for printer color management...

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 15:24:05 PST 2011

Chris,

I see no reason for anyone to reinvent the wheel.

But we really, really want a way to get so called "untagged" data
through to us from pro and prosumer apps: the most horrible failing of
Mac CUPS needs to be fixed.

The consumer print path should fall into place without trouble, as we
expect to publish both media settings and canned profiles for the
print path, and thus a profile application module from the default
"consumer" space (sRGB) should create a nice consumer user-model.

I don't anticipate any Gutenprint issues with color management,
provided upstream is fairly sane (unlike Mac Cups) and no excessive
demands are made on color management abilities of the Gutenprint
developers.

Edmund