[Openicc] Epson HTM CUPS drivers

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 18:49:49 PST 2011

There's been some debate between me and the other Gutenprint guys on
the topic of locked down drivers. The open source ethos is full
tunability, while as a color consultant my desire is to keep the
client's big messy paws away from the HurtMe buttons.

The compromise which has finally percolated down to execution is to
move every media setting and adjustment possible to a single settings
file, and allow the file to be loaded and saved. This offers the
possibility of locking down an installation by allowing access to
exactly one setting: The settings file. Commercial installations would
have some predefined settings tuned by their support expert, with
corresponding profiles, and that would be it. Consumer Linux
installations would have predefined canned settings for known media
types. And Joe Hackintosh could tune his ink curves to his heart's
desire.

Edmund