[Openicc] Linux CM ideology .. Linux CM proposal

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 14:20:32 PST 2011

Ok, so a consumer will actually *need* a dozen profiles for his single
printer, an enthusiast will have a few dozen, and then someone like
Robert or even a consultant like me might have some hundreds on a
special test installation.

We need to separate the install case where we search for an archived
or online profile/settings (proset) pack, retrieve a decent match and
install one or more candidates if no exact match is found, and the use
case where these prosets are already in the system, and it is
necessary to associate one with a print queue.

My feeling is that having a different queue per proset might be a
smart way to do things, but of course no one wants a hundred queues
hanging around CUPS, so there needs to be a way to vamoose them and
bring them back. When I look at CUPS these days I can see 6 or so
queues and it drives me crazy, and that's just random test stuff.

I think we don't have an algorithmic problem here, we know how to do
everything we need, but the interface may need a few tries to get
right.

Edmund

Edmund