[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux gets into distros

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 14:25:48 PST 2011

On 02/08/2011 10:17 PM, Peter Linnell wrote:
> Hi Till,
>
> This is terrific news and let's hope this get's into other distros soon.
>
> Just two comments:
>
> 1. Path pollution - most of the color aware apps honor
> http://www.oyranos.com/wiki/index.php?title=OpenIccDirectoryProposal for
> storing ICC profiles. Can we avoid adding another path ?

Please report this to CUPS upstream on

http://www.cups.org/str.php

I got CUPS searching /usr/share/ppd/, /usr/local/share/ppd/, and
/opt/share/ppd/ for PPDs. Why should you not get Mike Sweet making CUPS
searching for ICC profiles in /usr/share/color/ etc.?

> 2. For those not at the Printing Summit, follow on discussion could also
> occur at LGM http://libregraphicsmeeting.org in mid May in Monrteal. We
> are focusing this year more on development issues and I am aiming to
> have some workshops/talks on color management as well. Of course all the
> list members would be welcome to join, as well. There is no registration
> fee and lodging is reasonable. Scribus, GIMP, Krita, Oryanos and
> Inkscape will be there, as they are some of the principal users of color
> management in OSS.

Thanks for the info. I will not be there, but many people of the apps
from which one wants to print color-managed.

    Till