[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux gets into distros

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 8 16:05:31 PST 2011

On Feb 8, 2011, at 4:51 PM, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> While writing up the rendering intent bug report for poppler I looked at the code in poppler that creates the transforms and noticed after also looking at the lcms header that it always outputs 8 bits per channel since this is also hard coded in poppler.  So this is another thing that needs to be fixed since it should allow for the calling app to decide what bit depth to use for output.  For Gutenprint we will definitely want 16 bit per channel output for example.

I think the PDF spec might have something to say about this, at least for vector I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be 16bpc float. But yeah ideally we'd clobber everything, including 8bpc images, in 16bpc channel AT LEAST. I know ACE does everything for Adobe applications with 32bpc float precision.

>   Again we can live with 8 bit/channel output for initial testing but this does need to get fixed.

Yes.