[Openicc] Linux CM ideology .. Linux CM proposal

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue Feb 8 19:22:40 PST 2011

Chris Murphy wrote:
> Most people don't search profiles by device though. They search for them by color
> space. Or by color space and profile class. At least, that's how the UI is presented.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing then. I'm not talking about
a GUI tool for organizing profiles, I'm interested in a service that allows
applications that want to use/generate images for a particular device to
locate a profile that defines the device color space. So by definition,
profiles are associated with a device.

> I'm not a database expert so I will leave the engineering up to people who understand
> such things. All I'm proposing from my perspective is that I don't really care if this
> thing is human readable. It's just not interesting to me at all. I just want it to
> work. And I also think it needs to be system wide, not only user specific.

Such things need to be decided if there is to be a consensus though, and
the decision will have a big influence on how widely accepted such a
scheme is.