[Openicc] Is CUPS the right place... Flat color documents vs. ICCbased objects

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Feb 9 00:37:51 PST 2011

Am 08.02.11, 12:30 -0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 8 February 2011 11:59, Jan-Peter Homann <homann at colormanagement.de> wrote:
>> Cairo is already dealing with transparencies between individual objects. The
>> concept of attaching a document color space to a Cairo session, allows the
>> use the current rendering workflow in Cairo and apply the color
>> transformation to the output device, after the Cairo document has been
>> rendered to an image for the monitor or for the printer.
>> Using this strategy would it make much easier to introduce also CMYK as a
>> native colorspace in Cairo including handling of transparencies in a CMYK
>> blending space.
>
> We talked about that about a year ago on the cairo-devel list. I think

To remember, you wrote in a seperate thread about Cairo being the wrong
place for your high level Gtk ideas [1]. That was all of your contribution
to the CM in Cairo discussions a year ago on the Cairo email list [2].

> it makes a lot of sense to add this kind of data there, but at the
> time a lot of people got involved in being architecture astronauts and
> no code ever got written.

Prototyes of APIs exist along these discussions. Code was written and is
public in different repositories. Thats cool.

regards

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2010-January/018983.html
[2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2010-January/thread.html
     http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2010-February/thread.html