[Openicc] Linux CM ideology .. Linux CM proposal

Hal V. Engel hvengel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 08:16:41 PST 2011

On Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:14:27 PM Chris Murphy wrote:

> So I think we need to discuss this with the developers of essentially every
> graphics and photo tool that users who care about good color and printing
> are using. And ask them "if we build this thing, will you use it or not?
> what does it need to look like". Because it doesn't just matter what I
> think. It's got to be a ubiquitously implemented service. If it's not,
> users won't use it, even if they'd like to, because only one or two apps
> use the service.

Devs from most, if not all, of the open source apps that do graphics and
support CM monitor or are active on this list.  Or, at least, have been in the
past.  The feeling I get from my interactions with them is that for the most
part they want the "color management experts" to design a solution in a
transparent open way (so they are in the loop) and then implement it.  I think
this is basically what is happening here and now on this list.  Mostly what
they want is something that works, is easy for their apps to interface with
and is easy for users to understand.   I don't think they care too much about
the implementation details if those requirements are honored.