[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux... (what is to do ?)

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Thu Feb 10 06:26:13 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme at argyllcms.com> wrote:

> What if a DeviceXXX inappropriate for the device is used ? How are device
> independent
> colorspace definitions handled ? (ie. should it error ?)
>
> [One of the issues we saw in the PS world was PS files that were in just
>  a single device space DeviceRGB or DeviceCMYK _except_ that they had
> the odd bits of DeviceGray for lettering, lines etc. It shouldn't happen,
> but it did.]

Depends on whether you are dealing with "regular" PDF or PDF/X (or A or E).
 In the case of PDF/X (A/E), DeviceGray is to be treated as the K channel of
CMYK.  So that simplifies you back to just two.  For regular PDF, you can
pretty much treat it any way you want that makes sense for the output
device.

Leonard