[Openicc] ISO - Open vs. Free (was Linux CM ideology)

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Fri Feb 11 05:37:56 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme at argyllcms.com> wrote:

> [And a big problem with ISO is that they work against the adoption of their
> standards
>  by charging for them, instead of making them freely available. Charging
> money is
>  fine if you assume all the users are commercial companies, an assumption
> that
>  is faulty in the software world.]

You are missing half the picture, Graeme...

While it is true that the ISO charges for their standards, there is NO
CHARGE to participate in the DEVELOPMENT of that standard.  So ANYONE can
help define it - and if you help, you get a copy for free (and early
access!)

On the other hand, groups such as the ICC and the W3C CHARGE for membership
(so that only those that can pay, can play) BUT their results are freely
downloadable.

Personally, I think the ISO model is the better model since I believe that
WIDE INPUT from the world's experts (regardless of their ability to pay
membership fees) creates better standards for users in the long run.   but
to each his own...

Leonard