[Openicc] Print-Color-Pipeline: Learning from TurboPrint and Photoprint

Gerhard Fuernkranz nospam456 at gmx.de
Fri Feb 11 06:51:08 PST 2011

Am 11.02.2011 14:04, schrieb Robert Krawitz:
> Jan-Peter said -- correctly, in my view -- that concentrating on flat color documents *as a first step* is the way to go.  It's not the end goal, it's simply a first step that would achieve something useful as a proof of concept.

Robert, what I mean is that enhancing the ghostscript-based PS/PDF
rendering path with simple (as a first step) color management
functionality is likely not more expensive either, but results in a more
general solution (usable implicitly for all document formats, after
converting them to PS/PDF by filters, which already exist anyway), while
still fitting well with the PS and PDF color management semantics as
defined by the PLRM and PDF specs (any attempt to do the color
management for PS/PDF documents outside the RIP does IMO not fit with
the color management semantics defined by the PLRM and PDF specs, so I'm
not sure whether it should be considered an option at all). So I think
you get more for the money when starting with a PS/PDF-based approach -
but that's just my humble opinion, of course.

Regards,
Gerhard