[Openicc] ISO - Open vs. Free (was Linux CM ideology)

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Feb 11 11:00:00 PST 2011

Am 11.02.11, 19:04 +0100 schrieb Chris Lilley:
> On Friday, February 11, 2011, 2:37:56 PM, Leonard wrote:
> LR> While it is true that the ISO charges for their standards, there
> LR> is NO CHARGE to participate in the DEVELOPMENT of that standard.
> LR> So ANYONE can help define it - and if you help, you get a copy for free (and early access!)
>
> LR> On the other hand, groups such as the ICC and the W3C CHARGE for
> LR> membership (so that only those that can pay, can play) BUT their results are freely downloadable.
>
> Small correction - W3C charges for Membership, yes.
>
> Comments are solicited and accepted from the Public at all stages of standard development. without charge (your comment seemsd to indicate that all participation at W3C was subject to a charge which, as you well know, is not correct).
>
> The disposition of comments is publicly available.
>
> The specifications are publicly available at all stages of development, not just the end result.
>
> In theory W3C also will sell printed copies, on demand. I say in theory because in fifteen years at W3C I have not seen one single request for a bound, printed copy.
>
> LR> Personally, I think the ISO model is the better model since I
> LR> believe that WIDE INPUT from the world's experts (regardless of
> LR> their ability to pay membership fees) creates better standards for
> LR> users in the long run.
>
> That would be the W3C model you are describing.

... and the OpenICC model, just without any fee.

> Folks, sorry for the standards-body noise. We now return you to your regular programming. Which I am reading with interest, by the way.

It's a quite interessting toppic. To bring it more in focus,
A opening of the ICC standards discussions is quite desireable and IMO
is currently heading into the right direction. Nevertheless we are free
to develop here and elswere ideas and concepts to advance culture and
techology around colour.

An other interessting and related open forum in this regards is the create
email list, which some readers have already discoverd.