[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux... (what is to do ?)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Feb 11 14:39:08 PST 2011

On Feb 11, 2011, at 6:39 AM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:05 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> Yes, in that order. Any following PDF processor can add a new OutputIntent but can not replace a existing OutputIntent. Only one OutputIntent is allowed per PDF, according to the PDF spec.
>

> Actually, PDF supports an array of OutputIntents - but no one has ever used more than one.

Could come in handy to enable proofing at a system level. But still guys, I think we need to keep this implementation constrained and realistic, not overly complicated. There's enough going on as it is, and still some pretty basic considerations need to be agreed upon. Basic considerations about system architecture, library dependencies, databases, etc., that I know nothing about.

I think it's fine to think about a 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 version so that your 1.0 implementation doesn't box you into an impossible rewrite when it comes to 2.0 and 3.0. But really, unlike many things, there is an "end in sight" for color management implementation. But the biggest impediment is getting agreement about components. If everyone starts making their own implementation, then it will be yet another fractured color management system that won't work very well except with very specific distributions. I don't think that's very interesting. I think fixing the problems most people have is interesting.