[Openicc] HP Elitebook 8540W notebook with Dreamcolor display

Hal V. Engel hvengel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 18:19:01 PST 2011

On Friday, February 11, 2011 02:18:04 PM Emil Briggs wrote:
> I very recently acquired an HP Elitebook 8540W equipped with the Dreamcolor
> display. I'm running Linux on it and while searching for software that
> would let me utilize the screen to it's full capabilities I ran across a
> mention of ookala-mcf in an old thread here. Unfortunately that project
> seems to be dead and the code threw lots of errors when I tried to build
> it. Is anyone aware of any other Open source projects that might have
> support for this hardware?
>

> Thanks
> Emil

No there is no other open source software that does what ookala-mcf can do
with the Dreamcolor.  Apps like ookala-mcf can be used to calibrate the
internal LUTs of the display and this requires that programmer need to know
the protocols used to do this (IE. what messages are sent to and come back
from the monitor during this process) and this information is only available
for a few monitors.  In fact the only monitors that I have seen thins info for
are the Dreamcolor and only because it is in the ookala-mcf code.  Other
monitor manufactures will not release this information so that means that it
is nearly impossible to develop an app like ookala-mcf that works for a wide
range of monitors,  This makes a project like this very unattractive to open
source developers.

The ookala-mcf project was basically still born.  HP through a tar ball up on
SourceForge and and more or less walked away from it.  They never even
bothered to setup a source code repository and did nothing to encourage a
community to form around it.  This is all really sad since what is there is a
very powerful frame work for creating a plug in system for color components
for monitors that included a base set of plug ins.  But they did not or were
unable to even convice X-Rite to make the libraries needed for the two
measurement device plug ins readilly available.

Hal