[Openicc] colord information

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 13:03:53 PST 2011

A major part of the effort of creating Gutenprint drivers for printers
has so far gone into ink curves and a custom manual color model - and
now suddenly with 16 bit data paths and automatic profiling it looks
like most of that painstaking work will suddenly go away, and be
replaced with a printer profile and a black box that converts from
sRGB.

In summary the minority features have suddenly turned mainstream and
promise to hugely lighten the developer workload.

What Robert tells me is that in fact this is totally unintentional.
The Raw (deviceRGB) workflow and 16 bit data paths that might now be
the main workflow were in fact implemented as somewhat eccentric
minority user requests - I still remember being told to "read the
source code" when wanting to print in devicespace as a reviewer!

BTW, this is not my story, it is of course Robert's story. I have been
watching Gutenprint for years, starting when I was the photo columnist
for Publish.com, and so I find it an interesting trajectory in how
software develops.

Edmund