[Openicc] colord information

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 12 18:52:40 PST 2011

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 13:39:56 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Robert Krawitz wrote:
>> Edmund's point still stands: what is the definition of "normal
>> people"?  Folks who just want to print snapshots downloaded from their
>> phone, or something more sophisticated?  I think a lot of developers
>> underestimate what users want to do.
>
> I think it's a mistake to target something like Linux printing
> at a single idea of a user. There is no single user, there is
> a huge range of users. Instead the systems should aim to make
> simple things easy, and complicated things possible. This
> translates to a graduated set of facilities.

A former colleague of used the phrase "successive disclosure of
complexity" to describe this, and I think it's a good principle.
Despite its reputation, we do want to make Gutenprint easy to use for
inexperienced users, but not to give up capability for power users.

Having simple PPD files with bundled settings will certainly help
here.

--Eric Crampton