[Openicc] HP Elitebook 8540W notebook with Dreamcolor display

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sat Feb 12 22:55:52 PST 2011

Am 12.02.11, 11:12 -0500 schrieb Emil Briggs:
> On Saturday 12 February 2011 10:20:34 Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> Am 12.02.11, 09:00 -0500 schrieb Emil Briggs:
>>
>>> to see what was there and it gave me a "No displays found" message.
>>>
>>> i2cdetect -l shows 10 separate /dev/i2c-* nvidia entries so the kernel
>>> i2c support is there. I ran hpdc_util again with strace and started
>>> looking through the code. The devices are opened successfully but
>>> writing to them fails. I'm not quite sure how to proceed next. I do have
>>> the Quadro graphics card with the proprietary driver. Just for kicks I
>>> tried using the opensource nvidia driver but this does not work --
>>> looking in the Xorg.0.log it finds the I2C/ddc interfaces but is unable
>>> to read any EDID information from them.
>>
>> Did you see the forum post on the ookala-mcf page around EDID?
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ookala-mcf/forums/forum/898199/topic/339741
>> 5
>>

> I had not but it's not a permissions issue since I ran it as root after the it
> failed as a non privileged user.

Did you try Xcm/libXcm[1] to see the i2c channels?
"xcmddc requests EDID from a monitor over the i2c bus."
libXcm installs a udev rule for activating the i2c bus.

>>> The proprietary driver does have an option to enable 30 bit color so I
>>> tried that. I see what you mean about the apps not being ready :)
>>>
>>> I'm going to spend some time wrapping my head around the ookla code to
>>> see if I can figure out why it's not working (though I suspect that it
>>> may be related to the i2c kernel stuff).
>>
>> What do you plan to do with it?
>>

> Mainly I just wanted to be able to switch between the presets. HP supplies a
> Windows utility for notebooks with the Dreamcolor display that lets you select
> from 7 factory calibrations. The documentation for hpdc_util says that it can
> do that but I don't see any other way of doing so in Linux.

One would need to create a useful configuration file for ookala-mcf.

>> Calibration of display internal LUTs is not much an option without a
>> device SDK. The factory calibration for the standalone dreamcolor is quite
>> good. Direct profiling is not a bad choice.
>>

> I've got a color profiling device on order since I suspect that I may be out
> of luck otherwise since their is no guarantee the laptop display works the
> same as the standalone monitor.

Thats seems reasonable.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/oyranos/files/