[Openicc] HP Elitebook 8540W notebook with Dreamcolor display

Emil Briggs emil at briggspack.com
Sun Feb 13 06:13:17 PST 2011

On Sunday 13 February 2011 07:55:49 Emil Briggs wrote:
> On Sunday 13 February 2011 01:55:52 Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> > > I had not but it's not a permissions issue since I ran it as root after
> > > the it failed as a non privileged user.
> >
> > Did you try Xcm/libXcm[1] to see the i2c channels?
> > "xcmddc requests EDID from a monitor over the i2c bus."
> > libXcm installs a udev rule for activating the i2c bus.
>
> No nodes found and strace shows the same thing I saw with hpdc_util.

Made some progress. I unloaded the Nvidia proprietary driver and loaded the
nouveau kernel module with the framebuffer X driver. The i2c bus appears
functional now and hpdc_util read the EDID information from the panel. It does
not recognize it as a Dreamcolor though which is not surprising since it's
looking for the standalone monitor. If I feel brave I might be able to work
around this by adding in the ID of the laptop panel. I'm not sure if thats a
good idea though. Does anyone know if it's possible to damage the hardware
with an incorrect setting?

For whatever reason the i2c bus is not usable when the Nvidia proprietary
module is in use. I don't know if that is specific to this card/display
combination or is more general. Since most people using the proprietary driver
would be using nvidia-settings to control the displays it might not have been
noticed.