[Openicc] colord information

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Feb 13 08:43:28 PST 2011

On Feb 13, 2011, at 12:13 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 13.02.11, 04:24 +0100 schrieb edmund ronald:
>
>> Hehe, paradoxically the canned-profile color-managed settings are
>> actually the ones which would be locked down most strongly -or else
>> the profile is useless.
>
> It reads like polarising between naive/inexperienced users and experienced/expert users. Exactly that is strongly criticised on other platforms, but seems to meet deaf ears right now.

Also we should consider that even experienced/expert users get worn down with options also.

While it can be a really tedious rabbit hole to have to go looking at the stuff in SampleICC or sips (command line "scriptable image processing system" on OS X) to get things done, the functionality is available and can be scripted by those who want or need something out of the ordinary. But in the GUI, I have a lot of reluctance subjecting myself, let alone other users, to excessive exposure. Especially daily.

So there may be other locations for some functionality: command line, scripting, a separate application not part of a built-in GUI that every user would see, advanced panels that are hidden by default, etc. Command line stuff, like sips, is actually really basic. Not complex at all. Complex comes from building basic components together. A GUI presentation can actually be highly complex not only to build, but to decipher. GUI presentation is not automatically intuitive at all. They can actually be quite harmful.

Chris