[Openicc] ISO - Open vs. Free (was Linux CM ideology)

Ann L McCarthy almccart at lexmark.com
Sun Feb 13 20:20:11 PST 2011

Chris Lilley,

If you please,  I would appreciate an opportunity to "comment on the spec
where the actual colour management stuff is?"
Will you be able to send me that spec?

Best regards,
Ann McCarthy
ICC Steering Committee
ICC Automated Workflow WG Chair
Image Science R&D
Lexmark International, Inc.

Chris Lilley <chris at w3.org>
Sent by: openicc-bounces+almccart=lexmark.com at lists.freedesktop.org
02/12/2011 02:21 PM
Please respond to
Chris Lilley <chris at w3.org>; Please respond to
Open ICC Color Managment <openicc at lists.freedesktop.org>

Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>
cc
Open ICC Color Managment <openicc at lists.freedesktop.org>
Subject
Re: [Openicc] ISO - Open vs. Free (was Linux CM ideology)

On Saturday, February 12, 2011, 1:44:14 AM, Chris wrote:

CM> On Feb 11, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:

>> Small correction - W3C charges for Membership, yes.

>> Comments are solicited and accepted from the Public at all stages of
standard development. without charge (your comment seemsd to indicate that
all participation at W3C was subject to a charge which, as you well know,
is not correct).

CM> I will agree with Leonard's comments. I commented a number of
CM> times on CSS2 and then CSS3 long time ago on the very antiquated
CM> section on gamma for various operating systems, and also on the
CM> proposed tags for CSS3 that would have allowed tagging without
CM> embedding, and how that needed to be cleaned up a bit. Nothing
CM> happened. No one changed anything.

That is incorrect; the section on gamma for various operating systems was
removed from the spec, due to your (and other's) comments.

CM>  No one really said anything. No
CM> one seemed to understand what I was saying.

The CSS WG uses the same list for public comments and also for general
public discussion. Personally I consider this a mistake, because comments
like yours can be responded to by anyone from the public (and the public
typically has few ideas on color management, most of them incorrect).

CM> And then finally after
CM> some time I mentioned it all again for CSS3 and what I was told
CM> was basically it was too late. They were pulling all of the color
CM> tags out of CSS3 because no browsers had implemented support for
CM> them, and yet they weren't removing the b.s. gamma section even
CM> though that has never been implemented by browsers either, and is
CM> also factually untrue, and not good advice anyway.

As mentioned, the gamma section was removed.

Yes, the part of overriding the rendering intent of embedded images in
profiles was removed. It wasn't implemented and probably wasn't a good
idea, either.

CM> So what's old, wrong, and not implemented is what's in CSS3. What
CM> could have been useful with modifications, went no where.

Both statements incorrect.

The gamma stuff was pulled from CSS *2.1*, not 3.

The stuff that could be useful with modifications was modified and did go
somewhere.

CM> So from my perspective, this expert's advice for the W3C totally
CM> fell on deaf ears.

I'm sorry if you didn't get good feedback from your comments. But they did
have an effect, even if belatedly (I only got involved with CSS again a
couple of years ago).

CM> And considering it takes epochs for the W3C to
CM> get things done, it might be 20 years before there's another
CM> opportunity for a CSS3.5 or 4 the properly accounts for color.

Since 'getting things done' implies having a test suite and demonstrating
that at least two implementations pass each test, yes, it can take a while
to get to the final standard.

Chris, has your earlier experience with W3C soured you to commenting
again, or should I invite you to comment on the spec where the actual
colour management stuff is?

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG