[Openicc] Fwd: Settings bundles (Robert Krawitz, Edmund Ronald)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Feb 18 16:05:50 PST 2011

On Feb 18, 2011, at 4:47 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
>> times. It such a complete mess to sift through. I guess fully 90% of the content of the
>> file is repetitive, extraneously, useless garbage, visually speaking.
>
> Not just visually. The computer has to parse all that lot too. And every
> duplication demands checking and dealing with the possibility of
> things not matching.

I know that the intent of these settings files is not to be a database or file system. But if you imagine a file system or database needing 90%+ overhead to store data, it would just be untenable.

How to turn a 115K file of useful data into a 1.5MB file of the same useful data? Turn it into XML. Yes they are highly compressible, because they're so repetitive.

Chris