[Openicc] colord Printing Plans

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 14:34:02 PST 2011

On 24 February 2011 21:55, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> This is wishful thinking. The session and a colour management policy are
> separate concepts. The colour handling inside a session is bound to several
> rules, which are independent to any policy agent.

And you want to expose those concepts to the user? Users just want
things to work. The only "concept" the use has is that they want to
make the printer squirt the right colour ink out of the jets onto the
paper.

> The comparision is moot. It brings us too few, to place the ICC
> configuration in xorg.conf. So no one cares about xorg.conf here.

I was making an abstract comparison, not a suggestion.

> What would be if an other CMS would start playing this game too. We would end with
> three four five ways to configure the CUPS server side profile. All in
> different UIs and systems. Thats chaos.

I'm not suggesting there be more than one CMS installed on a system.
No user ever should have to choose between CMS's or even install such
a random thing on the system. I see a CMS as an integrated layer of
abstract glue rather than as a replaceable subsystem.

In Fedora 15 we'll be installing colord by default and GNOME 3.2 will
require colord to function. If you want to do all the integration work
to make oyranos work in place of colord, that's fine with me, but I'm
concentrating on making colord just work out of the box with upstream
ghostscript and cups. People have been talking about a perfect CMS
architecture for decades now, and it's time we ship something that
actually works.

It would be helpful if you could even consider implementing the same
DBus interface in oyranos we're using in colord (I'm even happy to
change API if needed), and then you'd get all the integration work
done for free.

>> We still use the PS workflow in Fedora.
>
> How long?

We've used a ps workflow for many years. Tim is keen to move to a PDF
workflow, but I'm not sure how much QA and testing that would need on
his part. It's probably too close to F15 to make that move right now.

Richard.