[Openicc] colord Printing Plans

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Thu Feb 24 16:38:42 PST 2011

Richard Hughes wrote:
> At the moment, I'm concentrating on the local system use case. The
> idea is that a remote print server will also have an instance of
> colord, and the profiles will be setup on the remote server with the
> icc profiles there. If there is a need to upload the icc file, we can
> look at adding the logic in CUPS to make that possible. That's
> certainly phase 2, so to speak.

Sounds like a mish-mash from an architectural point of view.

If the process concerned is printing, and there is already
an established protocol to communicate the client print
job, then that same link should be used to communicate color
profiles, if color management needs to be done at the
client end. (Does it really ? Shouldn't the client communicate
the source profiles in the PDL, and the server RIP will supply
the printer profile locally ?) To split up the communication is
to invite a host of problems.

> I'm sure you could do it all in CUPS, but it's better if you can have
> it a a separate process that hold all the mappings from devices to
> profiles for all devices, e.g. scanners, cameras and most importantly
> displays. This allows you to have display correction without
> installing cups, for instance.

The print server should talk to the local systems Color Management Services
to get the local devices profiles of course, but the client communication
should really be that of the remote print protocol, making for a cleaner
system design.