[Openicc] colord Printing Plans

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Thu Feb 24 16:52:45 PST 2011

Chris Murphy wrote:
> because there is technically no ICC based color management in PostScript at all. In PDF
> you have ICC profiles, which are to be converted into CSA (color space arrays) and CRD
> (color rendering dictionaries) in PostScript. And that's just a clusterf*ck to be
> really charitable. I would not expect or encourage the Ghostscript folks look to solve
> the issues of PostScript color management. I would consider PostScript to be a done,
> ready to print language, and totally device dependent. Color management happens before
> PS generation.

Hi Chris,
	I think you are being far too pessimistic. It is possible to color manage
PostScript quite well, but you're right that the lack of explicit ICC profiles
makes it a lot less flexible than PDF. I've done it in two ways :- intercept
the internal color machinery and substitute specific device link transforms
(or Source/Destination device profile pairs) for the DeviceXXX to output space
transform + handle the CSA by running it through the device profile, or
the second way was to convert DeviceXXX input profiles into CSA's, and the
device output profile into a CRD. I would be surprised if the new GS doesn't
have an equally good approach to handling color, based on looking at
Michael Vrhel's GS9 documents:

<https://www.linuxfoundation.org/images/7/71/A_New_Color_Architecture_for_Ghostscript.pdf>
<http://svn.ghostscript.com/ghostscript/trunk/gs/doc/GS9_Color_Management.pdf>