[Openicc] colord Printing Plans

Michael Vrhel michael.vrhel at artifex.com
Fri Feb 25 00:00:48 PST 2011

Wow.  I missed out on a nice conversation.

Just a few comments so that everyone understands how ghostscript deals with
color management for PS and PDF.   Every color is defined in terms of an ICC
profile.   If the source color is DeviceRGB, DeviceGray or DeviceCMYK it
will be assigned an ICC profile, which can be specified on the command
line.  If one is not specified then a default one will be used (sRGB,
SWOPCMYK, sgray).

If we have a PS color space that is CIEA, CIEABC, CIEDEF(G) an equivalent
ICC profile is created so that the same CMM can handle all color management
and need not worry about PS color management.  The same occurs for CalGray
and CalRGB PDF color spaces.  Shortly, I will be adding the ability to
specify device profiles based upon object types.  In this case, different
device profiles can be used for images, text, and graphic objects.  This
makes it easier to maintain nice black text and nice images.

Michael