[Openicc] colord Printing Plans, CPD and Gutenprint

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Mon Feb 28 00:51:40 PST 2011

Hello all,
I still think, that the process of creating a driver setup with an
assigned profile should be done in the driver.
The color transform with should be outside the driver (e.g. p*toraster)
or littleCMS after rendering to a bitmap for the printer.

If we want to have it "magically" for the user, we must shure, that user
can choose from the differnt settings in the printing UI and colord gets
the information which profile is valid for the the current setting.
So far as I know, is (or will be) CPD a common UI for handling printer
driver settings.

So Gutenprint should make the actual settings (with assigned profiles)
available to CPD (or another UI).
If the user chooses a setting we need to be shure, that Gutenprint tells
colord, which profile is valid for the setting choosed by the user.

Furthermore, the experienced user should be able to have "Color expert
Options" in the printing GUI (e.g. CPD) to deactivate colormanagement
through printing a testchart for profiling.

In this case the printing UI (e.g. CPD) has directly to communicate with
colord to deactive usage of profile in p*toraster.

If the testchart is printing and measured, the user will assign his
individual profile to the Gutenprint setting through the Gutenprint UI.
In this case, we need to be shure, that colord gets an update, that for
an actual driver setting a new profile has been assigned.

Richard,
if I look at yout workflow. I get an impression, that colord setups
p*toraster or foomatic RIP. But I don´t see:
- the layer, where the driver tells colord, which profils is assigned to
actual driver setting
- the UI layer where the user chooses a driver setting

Please take in consideration, that in the described workflow, the
process of assigning a profile to driver setting is always done in the
driver and not GNOME Colormanager !!

Best regards
Jan-Peter

--