[Openicc] colord Printing Plans, CPD and Gutenprint

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Feb 28 05:36:10 PST 2011

Am 28.02.11, 13:19 -0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 28 February 2011 09:44, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Fine. Just colord has to learn how to honour the calibration.
>
> It already does.

Ah, again a pure claim without link?

>>> I'm not sure the user wants to interact with the ICC profile in this
>>> way. It should magically work without the user choosing a profile for
>>> a specific paper type.
>>
>> Unfortunedly paper detection is most often non automatic. Thus users need to
>> select paper by hand.
>
> What I meant is, that the user has already selected the paper type in
> the dialog, and doesn't need to then choose between
> HP-Deskjet-d1300[matte].icc and HP-Deskjet-d1300[plain].icc in a color
> profile drop down. We can make that automatic.

Agreed, I guess most people here are in line with that.

>> PDF and CUPS have native mechanisms. Better stick to them and fix bug to
>> make them possibly.
>> If we solve that in some standard way, this can lead to other OSes to
>> follow. A colord only solution will certainly have not that effect.
>
> I disagree. Apple CM already is centered around ColorSync, and
> Microsoft is already pushing WCS. It's pure madness to think that both
> Apple and Microsoft would move to yet another new CMS framework just
> for printers.

Hmm, I did argue about standards being helpful for interoperability.
That Microsoft pushes WCS and Apple has CS is not a good reasoning to push
a new non interoperable CMS. For users it has serious practical
implications to have those systems get closer to standards. If Linux makes
the start that would great. But you seems to have other plans.

(btw. thanks for the blunt 'madness'.)