[Openicc] colord Printing Plans, CPD and Gutenprint

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Feb 28 06:00:48 PST 2011

Am 28.02.11, 13:39 -0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 28 February 2011 09:09, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> I think as well this format can set colord under pressure to deliver more
>> than a three qualifier rule for user supplied profiles. This will bring us a
>> more robust automated profile selection.
>
> More options != robust.

Calibration needs many options. Thats why Oyranos supports them.

>> The colord author appears to
>> consequently ignore this demand and insist on pushing his flawed model.
>
> The flawed qualifier rule is specified by CUPS already:
> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/spec-ppd.html and is
> already used in ColorSync. Anything more complicated would need a much

Agreed. Thats why Oyranos limits its usage just to vendor profiles. All
others are much more flexible and robust handled through all available
and understood calibration data.

> more complex model for matching, which is something that I do not
> think is required.

I outlined the model used in Oyranos. It needs somewhat more programming
time as you put into whole colord. Still its is already implemented as a
robust base for a good user experience.

> So if you think that it's flawed, that's fine, I don't think it's
> perfect either. I just know it works.

Changing the gamma slider and colord can not account for this. I would not
say this works.

> Richard.
>
> [1] http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000018.html

<irony>
This page propagates simplicity? Then colord is overly complicated. Just
tell all people they shall use sRGB and the same to device manufacturers.
Thats it ;-)
</irony>