[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux gets into distros

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Mon Feb 28 06:22:29 PST 2011

On Friday 11 February 2011, Hal V. Engel wrote:
> I had a closer look at the PDF files produced by the Qt print dialog.  I
> see the following:
>
> 1.  The first line is
>
> %PDF-1.4
>
> So these are NOT PDF/X.
>
> 2. All image objects are either DeviceRGB or DeviceGray even when using a
> color managed app like Krita with a color managed image.   Looking at the
> code in QPdfEnginePrivate I see that that this is hard coded.
>
> 3. Images are always 8 bits/channel or less.  QImage limitation.
>
> So the Qt PDF print work flow will need a lot of work done to it to be
> fully useable.  Has anyone here who works on Qt or KDE based imaging apps
> like krita or Scribus have any work arounds for this?

As far as I know Scribus uses its own PDF generation code.

As for Krita, by default, the image is converted to sRGB 8bit for printing,
there is a configuration option (with no UI) to set a different profile for
the printer.

It is worth to note that for Krita, we do not consider printing as part of our
important features. IE, we consider that the artists job stops in Krita at
creating the image. He can print it on his 30€ printer, but if the user is
running a shop with 30000€ printers, he should use other software to print the
image (after drawing it with Krita, of course ;P ). This is why Qt not
supporting the color profile in PDF, and having to convert to sRGB 8bits, is
not considered a critical issue for Krita. Of course, if at a latter stage,
the API allows better support for color profiled printing, we will make sure
that Krita makes the best of them.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott